Sunday, July 24, 2011

Our Little Adventure

 

Shortly before we left we took a taxi on our own to Pana. This is a town we had been to before and we wanted to take a little adventure. It was only 20mins. down the mtn. We paid a mere 35 Quetzals or 5 dollars. When we were let off at the market area I realized quickly this was not the area we were in with Vicki a few days ago. We started to walk and everything looked the same. I tried not to panic. Finally, I thought about going towards the lake. I asked some school girls ,"Donde esta el lago?" They pointed down a street." Ok girls let's go", I said trying to be confident. We walked and walked, again I asked...I got another pointed hand. We turned a corner and viola! We found the textile market venders. Rows and rows of them.


We shopped and bartered with Maria's  expertise with Spanish numbers. She giggled when the person would speak solely to her thinking she was fluent in Spanish. We ate lunch at a partially open restaurant. 
Carolina eating a hamburger and fries with ice tea!!




While eating ,started to do what it does everyday this time of year-RAIN. A lady came up and started to show us her wares. She dressed Carolina, Maria, and even me up in these traditional head pieces. "For photo," she repeated in her memorized English. Que es su nombre? I repeated in my memorized Spanish! "Teresa", she said with a huge smile!!
I bought these items knowing they may never wear them again. They are a sweet remembrance of our day!
We had difficulty finding a taxi back up the mtn. Finally, we got one and paid twice the amt. back as we did going. I was just so happy to get back with my girls. When I got back home I found this picture of them when they first came to America. Who knows maybe they WILL wear them again?
Maria and Carolina
                                                      


1 comment: